Monday, January 4, 2010

Ruby.

I had the privilege of meeting Ruby two years ago when I began taking care of her part-time at her home which was a few blocks from mine. Isaac, Isabel and I would go see her for a few hours everyday during the week. It was a sweet time. I am a regretful procrastinator. Being with Ruby has helped me overcome a lot of procrastinating. She would say how she was glad she did all she wanted to while she could. I got to thinking how I take for granted that I will always be able to do the things I do now. Too often the kids will want to work on a project that just doesn't appeal to me or seems overwhelming and I will try and put it off until later in the week. I do make sure we do it because I want to be true to my word, but there are times when it gets forgotten until one of them reminds me we never did it. Ruby delighted in my kids. She would seem to "come alive" when they would enter her home. She would accept the endless amount of flowers and weeds Isabel would pick for her. She observed with interest the bugs, insects or amphibians Isaac found in the yard. She never complained about anything, not even when she was in pain. Whenever I did anything for her she would always say, "God will bless you." I would assure her HE already had. Just being able to help ease her burden a little was an honor I felt God was entrusting me with. Also, I had made a friend. At the age of 88, Ruby went home to the one she loves in November, 2009. I am better for knowing her and look forward to seeing her again.

No comments: